Just came from WSO2 Con 2013. Was a fantastic event organized by WSO2 team. Lots of topics were discussed there. session on e- governance ringed my bell. Actually when I was doing my level 3 project at the university I was dreaming about the same thing that they (WSO2 and Rapsere) are doing now. Everything is e-nized (don’t worry it “e-nized” is a word in my vocabulary 🙂 ). I was doing a School Management System (SMS) for the level 3 project, it was a very sophisticated web application that facilitates to manage almost every thing in the school.
and I planned about lot more like asset management etc.. I called it School Management at finger tips.because every thing was away with few keystrokes or a click. I will list out some features I Included in the SMS.
- General Module for Authentication for students,teachers,sectional heads, vice principals and principal. and they are provided with different user levels with different privileges. As in the hierarchy, student with the least privileges and principal is the boss 🙂 🙂 as usual.
- only registering user can be done by vice principal and principal.
- Each person has his own account with different views based on the authentication level.
- Teachers can be assigned wit subjects and classes for those subjects.
- Student are registered and assigned in to classes at every December 31st , classes are updated according to the cut-off markds defined by the class teacher. (by default everyone is passed to next class)
- Separate Module to take care of Examinations. Only principal can start an examination. After the exam is finished, teachers are notified with a sms (here sms is the sms in our day to day terminology) to enter marks.
- When all the marks are entered class teacher have the authorization to process the marks and get ranks, averages all the stuffs needed.
- during this process , examination results is sent to student’s parents mobile, so before student reaches the home results has gone there (I know that is not fair 🙂 :). but had to to that )
- Discipline Notifier ( night mare for naughty students 🙂 🙂 ). Teachers can add remarks about the behavior of the student in the school. Each remarks reaches parents in a flash ( I know that is bad too…. 🙂 ).
umm…. There is another interesting thing I included, I included this because of my real life experience. After passing out from the school I went to get my character certificate, and sports certificate. Then vice principal gave me a big big form and asked to write things I did in the school and asked to get signatures from relevant teachers as a confirmation. 🙂 🙂 . That’s how thing were….
So I wanted to include feature that store every thing of a student Discipline,Sports, Ex-curricular activities, Awards etc. So I included this thing. that records these all. So when a student want to get any certificate . Then who ever the person issue the certificate just have to have a look at those records which are easily can be retrieved ( authentication level should be greater than student)
As above there are lots features of SMS. I was not going to talk about it.. Let’s get back on the track… umm…Eventhough Sri Lanka has above 90% literacy , in the case of IT literacy it is not that much. Most of the folks in the higher positions of government institution have not been exposed to IT that much. I’ll tell you a little story.
Few months back , I was asked to design and develop a IT System for Badulla Private Passenger Company ,which is the largest private bus company in Badulla. It was a proposed to me by a young person working there. because he has the idea of the comfortability of using an IT system instead of bulky files ( It saves trees too :)) Then I was asked to do a presentation for the director board.(there were 12 , out of 12 , 11 of them were businessmen and the other was a lawyer ) 🙂 🙂 . Now the fun part begins… I gave the presentation. They were stared at me during entire presentation and finally asked how much does it cost??? 🙂 kind a funny question, I was expecting it 🙂 🙂 . Then I told them the price with no discount policy (same as WSO2 🙂 :)) . There eye brows went up :).And all them told that they are fine with bulky files and paperwork. I felt that , I would have been very easy for my to convince my granny to wear jeans rather than convincing those folks to use an IT system.
That’s how the things works in Sri Lanka, most of the people working in the Government only know about how to use the MS Office Pakage 🙂 . and still there are people who thinks that MS Words is a typewriter with a Screen. 🙂 🙂 . because , Once they made a mistake at the beginning of the sentence , and if they saw it in the end of the sentence , then they delete the whole sentence and type it again. 🙂 🙂 . It is just a one example , I can give lots of them ( guess it is better to write another article for it ).
To make my dream true , to see a Sri Lanka with IT Every where.. first we should come up with significant change in education system. and persuade people to use IT and stick with technology. Still there are people that prefer being in the queue at the counter of the bank holding the Pass book rather than using ATM card to withdraw money.
e-governance would be a huge step to make my dream a reality.I know that day is not that far. Not only for governance , for health services ,education,transportation etc.. We can use IT, in my words we can e-nize them.